17 Weird facts about dogs I bet you didn’t know!
Being a pet parent is a fun and at times a challenging experience. Aside from learning our pets personalities, it’s also interesting to learn new things about them that we never even would have thought about! Below is a list of some interesting findings about our lovable creatures.
- Dogs can get poison ivy! Luckily, it's not as common as it is in humans. Thanks to their protective hair coat, oils from poison ivy can't reach the skin. Unfortunately, these oils can be spread from pets to you though!
- It's been proven that dogs have a sense of time! They know the difference between an hour or five hours. If trained, they can predict future things such as regular walk times.
- Your fur baby can help you get a date! A study showed that chances of getting a girls/guys phone number went from 10% to 33%, just by having a dog with them!
- Dogs are not completely color blind! Unlike us, we have three different color sensitive cone cells in our retina (red, green and blue) dogs have only two, yellow and blue.
- A dog has the mental maturity level of a 2 year old child. The finding is based on a language development test, revealing average dogs can learn 165 words, similar to a two year old.
- Dogs have three eyelids! According to iHeartDogs, the third lid is called the ‘haw’ or nictitating membrane, and it’s responsible for keeping the eye protected and lubricated.
- The Saluki is the oldest dog breed. The breed dates back to 329BC and were even kept as royal pets in Egypt!
- Three dogs survived the Titanic sinking!!! Researchers say that the dogs were in first class. Their owner wrapped them in a blanket to escape with, and everyone thought it was a baby.
- A Bloodhound’s sense of smell can be used as evidence. Their sense of smell is so spot on that it can be admitted in a court of law.
- The breed Basenji , do not bark. They yodel, yell or scream. That’s talent!
- Yawning is contagious even for dogs! Studies show that the sound of a human yawn can trigger one from your dog. It’s also more likely to happen when it’s the yawn of a person he or she knows.
- Dogs curl up in a ball when sleeping to protect their organs. An instinct from their days in the wild. Back when they were vulnerable to predator attacks.
- Human blood pressure goes down when petting a dog. So does the dog’s! Sign me up!
- All puppies are born deaf. It is the last of their senses to develop. At 3 weeks old they can hear better than most humans!
- Dalmatians are born completely white! They develop their spots as they get older.
- Studies claim that your dog can totally get jealous when they see you display affection for another creature!
- In Russia, stray dogs have actually learned how to ride the subway system! They can get off at specific stops in search of food! Talk about being independent!
These fun facts were very interesting and even funny! Our fur babies are so smart and have so much love and hidden talents to share with us!